I. Intended purpose and scope of application
1. Intended purpose
The vacuum emulsifier is a piece of key production equipment for medium and high-grade cosmetics improved on advanced foreign equipment. The vacuum emulsifier has quick homogenization, heating, cooling and vacuum degasification functions, features excellent homogenization and emulsification effects (particle size up to 2-3um), sanitary production conditions, high heating efficiency, reliable electric control, stable operation, easy operation and maintenance, and low labor intensity. It is ideal for the production of cosmetic
creams, pastes and lotions and high-viscosity materials, such as drugs, foods and fine chemicals.
2. Scope of application
(1) Daily chemical and cosmetic industry: skin creams, shaving creams, paste shampoos, toothpastes, cold creams, sun creams, cleansers, nutrition lotions, detergents, shampoos, etc.
(2) Pharmaceutical industry: latexes, emulsions, ointments, oral syrups, etc.
(3) Food industry: thick pastes, cheese, oral liquids, infant foods, chocolates, sugar cooks, etc.
(4) Chemical industry: latexes, pastes, saponified products, paints, coatings, resins, adhesives, detergents, etc.
II. Key technical parameters
(1) Working volume: 100L, 200L, 300L, 500L, 600L, 800L, 1000L, 2000L.
(2) Heating, cooling: Heat the pan jacket with 0.25Mpa steam or electrically; supply water for cooling.
(3) Material temperature: <100℃
(4) Vacuity: negative pressure –0.07Mp (gauge); during agitation, a negative pressure shall be
present in the pan
(5) Agitator: step-less variable frequency speed regulation within 0-60rpm
(6) Homogenizer: step-less variable frequency speed regulation within 0-2800rpm
2. Dissolving pan
(1) Working volume: 70L, 100L, 150L, 200L, 300L, 400L, 500L, 600L, 700L, 800L, 1000L, etc
(2) Heating: Heat the pan jacket with 0.25Mpa steam or electrically.
(3) Agitator: using a vertical high shear homogenizing emulsifier or by ordinary means
(4) Power: 0.55-11kw
III. Characteristics and structure
1. A special frame-type wall-scraping agitator is used. The agitation impacting force is adjusted with a step-less variable frequency speed regulator. The rotating speed can be adjusted at will within 0-60rpm. The direction of rotation shall be clockwise when seen from the top. This unit can be used for the emulsification of materials of all viscosities.
2. A special shear emulsifying homogenizer is used, in which a fast rotating rotor sucks in the material strongly for high-strength squeezing and shearing. The homogenizer is at an inclination angle with the centerline of the pan, so that the material can roll naturally in the pan and well homogenized, eliminating any dead space.
3. A special stainless steel discharge valve is used, ensuring there is no dead space at the pan’s bottom and furthering improving the homogenization quality.
4. The motor’s speed can be controlled by a variable frequency speed regulator for stable speeds and higher torques.
5. The decelerator is of the cycloidal pinwheel type, the lubricant of the 2L-2 lithium based type.
6. The upper sealing device uses a single-end-surface mechanical seal. (The sealing liquid is glycerin.)
7. The homogenizer uses a specially designed double-end-surface mechanical seal and a framework secondary oil seal for ideal vacuum.
8. The emulsifying pan has a 3-jacket structure. The contact surface between the inner pan and the material is made of imported SUS304 and SUS316L stainless steel. The inner surface is mirror-polished to 300EMSH (health level) to guarantee the quality of products. The outer heat-insulating layer is made with the polyurethane (PU) foaming process to reduce energy consumptions. There is a sight lamp, a vacuum sight glass with scraper, a CIP cleaning head and a vacuum pressure gauge on the pan cover.
9. All control buttons (heating, cooling, agitation, homogenization, etc) and temperature sensing functions are available from the control panel for convenient, reliable operation.
10. The dissolving pan shall be provided as the user requires; oil and water shall be used separately, the steam valve for jacket heating shall be operated manually. For electric heating, start the heating button. The upper vertical high shear homogenizing emulsifier or ordinary agitator shall move for uniform heating of the material.
11. See the layout plan (attached) for the unit’s arrangement.
IV. Transport and installation
1. This unit is usually not packaged but necessary measures shall be taken during loading to protect the equipment from damage. (If the user requires package, such package may be provided).
2. The unit may not incline seriously when hoisted to avoid displacement of the center of gravity, which might cause an accident.
3. No additional foundation is required for installation of this unit. Just level the base of the unit by adjusting the movable bottom plate. If the user is to mount this unit upstairs, the floor shall have a bearing capacity of >8000N/㎡.
4. The connecting pipes between different parts of this unit have been installed before factory release and were torn down for the convenience of hoisting. The user has just to connect the console with the equipment’s support according to the external view and fasten the disassembled pipe flanges with bolts again.
5. During steam heating, set the pressure of the safety valve at the jacket’s steam inlet to 0.32Mpa.
6. Generally, the connecting wires between the wiring board and the unit shall be provided by the user. The mains shall be connected to Internal Terminals A, B, C and N of the distributing box.
7. Before the trial run, check all screw connections of the pipes and the unit for loosening.
1. Pre-operation precautions
(1) Check all lubricated parts. Replenish lubricant if necessary.
(2) See if there is anything in the emulsifying pan.
(3) Electric wiring check:
(A) See if the primary power circuit is proper;
(B) See if the wire joint numbers on the circuit board are consistent with those on the binding posts;
(C) See if the limit switch on the unit operates properly;
(D) See if the thermal relay in the control box operates properly;
(E) See if the thermal relay in the control box has proper settings.
(1) Vacuuming: Close all valves on the emulsifying pan, start the vacuum pump, open the ball valve
at the vacuum intake, vacuum to the desired vacuity and then close the valves and vacuum pump.
(2) Charging and perfuming agent: Heat the dissolving pan to the desired temperature, vacuum the
emulsifying pan to a negative pressure intensity of 0.07Mpa, insert the charging hose into the material in the dissolving pan, open the charging valve. The material is filtered into the emulsifying pan. After charging, close the charging valve and clean the filter net. To add the perfuming agent, open the valve of the perfume hopper, add the agent to the hopper at a time or in several times, then close the valve of the perfuming agent inlet.
(3) Agitation: The agitator can be started when the material enters the emulsifying pan, the agitation speed is usually controlled within 30-60rpm.
(4) Homogenization: Press the homogenizer start button, adjust the speed of variable frequency speed regulator according to the material’s viscosity and process.
Notes: (A) Do not start the homogenizer when there is no material (no load).
(B) The continuous runtime of the homogenizer shall not exceed 20.
(5) Heating: The pan shall be heated with <0.25Mpa steam or electrically.
(A) Steam heating: Before heating, remove the jacket of condensate, close the cooling water inlet valve and then open the steam valve. The user may monitor heating through the digital temperature indicator; temperature control is realized with a manual valve. The user must install pressure relief and pressure limiting devices in the steam delivery line.
(B) Electric heating: Before heating, fill up the main pan and the jackets of the oil and water baths with water and avoid damage the heater. This unit is provided with an over-pressure safety valve to guarantee its operating safety.
(6) Cooling: Usually, tap water is used as the source of cooling water (preferably chilling water). Close the valve of the steam pipe, open the water inlet and outlet valves, control the flow rate of cooling water by adjusting the openness of the valves to control the cooling rate.
(7) Discharge: Discharge can be either inclined or stationary. After emulsification of the material in the stationary mode, purified compressed air is usually used to pressurize the emulsifying pan. Then open the discharge valve for discharge, with a positive pressure of <0.1Mpa. The equipment can output work pieces manually. The user may also choose discharge by pump depending on the site, equipment and process.
(8) Raw material dissolution: Add oil, water and other materials to the dissolving pan as per the formula, open the steam inlet valve, make sure the steam pressure in the jacket is <0.3Mpa. Preheat or dissolve the materials, while start the agitation motor to agitate the materials, facilitate dissolution or preheating.
(9) The dissolving pan uses a vertical high shear disperser to emulsify, homogenize the material.
(10) Cleaning: After discharge, if it is necessary to change the mode of production or the idle time exceeds 24 hours, clean the inside of the emulsifying pan. Then add half pan of clean water and repeat the above operation. The frequency of water replacement and cleaning depends on the material. After cleaning, open the discharge valve to discharge the water in the pan. At last, heat the pan to dry its inner surface.
VI. Dissolving pan
1. The dissolving pan is an independent heating, agitation pretreater and an essential supporting device for the cosmetic and medical industries. It can make a complete emulsifier in combination with an emulsifying pan.
2. The pan shall be in a 3-jacket structure. Any part in contact with the material is made of high-grade stainless steel and filled with heat insulating cotton outside for improved heating efficiency.
3. The dissolving pan has a vertical high shear homogenizing disperser or an ordinary agitator, a temperature sensor and a discharge valve. The agitator can ensure the material is uniformly heated and agitated in the pan; the temperature sensor can measure and display the material’s temperature for monitoring during operation.
4. The jacket may be supplied with <0.25Mpa steam to heat the material in the pan. It is also provided with a pressure limiting device. During heating, remove the jacket of condensate and then close the drain valve. Open the steam inlet valve for heating (or electric heating).
5. A large dissolving pan may be provided with a frame-type wall-scraping agitator and an upper vertical high shear homogenizing emulsifier as the 2 nd main emulsifying pan, used for agitation, emulsification and homogenization applications without vacuuming.
1. The water tank of the vacuum pump shall be checked regularly. The water level shall be higher than the vacuum pump joint by about 30mm. After repeated vacuuming operations of the vacuum system, many residues will build up at the bottom of the buffer tank. After each operation, open the discharge valve to remove residues.
2. For a positive pressure discharge unit, the clamping screws must be replaced onto the screw support before the pan cover rises, otherwise the unit is unable to rise.
3. Do not start homogenizer if there is no material or water in the pan, lest it should be damaged.
4. Check and replace the lubricating grease in the cycloidal pinwheel decelerator regularly.
5. If the oil pump motor makes a sound, the agitator may not be started, lest the agitator should be damaged. The suction pipe might harden and age and have various faults. It should be checked monthly for elasticity and corrosion.
6. The unit must be sent to the competent authorities for calibration regularly. The safety valves and starting pressure shall be adjusted to ensure the unit’s operating safety.
7. The unit shall have a reliably grounded neutral wire.